When recovering from back sprain, strain or disc injury the following are recommended:
- Apply ICE therapy as instructed by your Chiropractor (15 mins on/20 mins off – repeat 2-3x). Anti-inflammatory herbs/medication can be beneficial.
- Do not apply heat. Avoid hot baths and rubs until instructed to do so.
- Avoid standing for long periods of time. If necessary (such as ironing) keep one foot raised on a small stool.
- Do not stoop forward with straight knees. Squat down using your knees and leg muscles, not your back.
- Do not lift heavy/any objects. When lifting, bring objects close to you bend your knees and use your legs to lift, not your back.
- Do not sleep on a soft bed. When arising turn to unaffected side, draw knees up, push to sitting position sideways using your opposite arm, place feet on floor and stand up keeping your back straight
- Do not sleep on stomach. Sleep on your side with a pillow between your knees, slightly flexed. Or on your back with a pillow under your knees.
- Avoid sitting. Do not sit in soft or deep chairs/couches. Its best to sit on a firm chair or lie on the floor with your feet up.
- Do not drive during acute phase. When getting out of the car, sit on the edge of the seat and swing both legs out together, avoid twisting.
The injured area must not be re-injured and the inflammation controlled, to promote optimal healing.