Helpful tips for new mums with back pain – Claudia Cadona Chiropractor
Carrying babies and toddlers around can be hard work! We don’t prepare for it but often the back pain from nursing and carrying babies can exceed the back pain during pregnancy!
Try these helpful hints.
- Bend your knees and keep your back straight when picking up your child. It’s important to remember after having a baby your core is weaker and hormones make your joints super flexible. Bending incorrectly can lead to strain of the lower back.
- Interestingly, breastfeeding is one of the most common causes of shoulder and neck pain in mums. Remember to keep your shoulders down and relaxed when feeding. A great exercise to strengthen your back is squeezing the shoulder blades together – hold for 3 sec and relax. Repeat 10 times.
- Don’t always carry your child on the same hip. This causes tension in joints of the pelvis and glutes, leading to poor movement patterns. Try switch sides or carry in front.
- Carriers – Wrap carriers are great for infants. They are supportive of babies, allowing them to remain in their natural C shaped spinal curve position. The wrap carriers are also very supportive of mums back and hips. Sling Carriers can cause one sided neck and shoulder pain, so be careful not to have bub in there too long!
- Having gentle, post pregnancy chiropractic care can significantly reduce your pain. Correcting posture and reducing muscle tension makes feeding, carrying and sleeping a lot easier.
Yours in health,