Many women struggle with back pain, sciatica or pelvic pain though pregnancy. Here are some interesting tips for managing back pain during pregnancy.
Why is back pain so common during pregnancy? Some women have a history of back pain, but for many it’s a new problem! As bub grows and more weight is centered on the belly it causes a change in posture, adding stain to the joints of the lower back and pelvis. In addition hormonal changes soften the ligaments and joints, making them more susceptible to injury.
Things to avoid;
- Sitting crossed legged on the floor. A lot of women don’t know this, but it puts excessive strain on the pubic symphysis, called PSD.
- Twisting motions i.e. turning around in the car to reach onto the back seat.
- Sitting on the couch for long periods of time puts a lot of pressure on your tailbone and can strain the joints when getting up from sitting.
Things to relieve;
- Exercise ball! It might be the best purchase you make. Sitting on it and gently rocking helps take the pressure off your lower back and keeps the joints from locking up (something you don’t want before giving birth!)
- Interestingly, spending time on your hands and knees helps alleviate lower back pain and is also great for getting baby into a good position for birth.
- Gentle pregnancy yoga is excellent in stretching and easing muscular or joint pains. Remember to be gentle.
During pregnancy, any muscular weaknesses are exacerbated and cause pain such as glut pain. These require specific pregnancy safe exercises. If you are struggling with pain, specialised pregnancy chiropractic is extremely helpful. It corrects any postural misalignments that cause joint pain/muscular pain or sciatica and has great benefit in assisting with a natural delivery.
Lets bring back that pregnancy glow 🙂
Yours in Health,