Know your lower back pain
Lower back pain is one of the most common reasons for someone to seek care (including lower back pain chiropractic adjustments and pain rehab) from a chiropractor. Knowing what structure may be causing your back pain is a very important thing to know, as this will determine your recovery pathway. Some structures in your back take longer to heal and are more complex to resolve, while others may be simple and easy to settle.
The most common causes of lower back pain that can be treated with lower back pain rehab and chiropractic adjustments are:
The intervertebral disc
- Pain can be a deep ache or sharp stabbing sensation
- May have associated leg pain, numbness, tingling
- Worse when sitting and/or bending forward
- Stiff and painful in the mornings.
The sacroiliac joint (SI joint)
- Pain located on one side usually below the PSIS (the ‘dimple’ area either side of the tailbone)
- Worse when walking and standing from a seated position
- May have associated sciaticaMay be painful to put weight on the side of pain.
- Usually one-sided pain
- Worse when leaning back or twisting side to side
- Aggravated by prolonged sitting or standing.
Knowing the structure that’s causing your pain and treating it with a lower back pain chiropractic adjustment is only one part of the equation. What’s usually more important to resolving pain in the long-term is understanding why this area became injured in the first place. ‘The straw that broke the camel’s back’ is often an analogy used to describe an episode of lower back pain. Unless there’s significant trauma, these injuries usually are an accumulation of non-optimal movement patterns or daily habits. Stress and anxiety can often play a large role as well.
Lower back pain rehab at Scope Chiropractic
At Scope Chiropractic, we pride ourselves on our diagnostic skills, treatment abilities and management experience of lower back pain. Having the correct diagnosis is the first step to resolving your discomfort as part of a lower back pain rehab program. Most importantly, back pain can be resolved with good management, time and a positive outlook. To learn more about our chiropractic and pain rehab programs for lower back pain, contact Scope Chiropractic or book a session at our West End or Ipswich chiro clinics today.