Tennis elbow is a common disorder that affects the outer part of the elbow (the epicondyle) and is a type of tendinopathy (a disruption/irritation within the tendon) commonly associated with repetitive gripping tasks and repetitive extension at the wrist.
Scope Chiropractic offers tennis elbow injury treatment and rehab (which may include specialised chiropractic treatment for tennis elbow) at our Brisbane (West End) and Ipswich sports chiro clinics.
Who gets it?
Tennis elbow can affect anyone at any age, but it most commonly affects people between the ages of 40 and 50. People who engage in sports/occupations that require repetitive gripping of the hand or repetitive wrist extension (like tennis and other racquet sports) are most likely to require tennis elbow rehab and chiropractic treatments.
- Common sports: Tennis, badminton and squash
- Common occupations: Desk workers, carpenters, bricklayers and sewers/knitters.
Tennis elbow symptoms
- Tenderness on the bony part of the outer elbow as well as tightness down the forearm. This can be a gradual onset or occur after a single episode of high physical work
- Pain and/or weakness with grip strength, bending/extending at the wrist and elbow
- Occasionally pins and needles can be felt through the top of the forearm which is commonly associated with weakness of the shoulder and tension in the upper back, neck and shoulders.
Tennis elbow rehab and treatment
- The first goal of a tennis elbow injury treatment is to find the aggravating movement, position or lifestyle factor (stress/anxiety/sleep deprivation) that may be contributing to this pain. This may be as simple as changing your desk set up or changing your grip on a tool.
- Your chiropractor will assess the soft tissues in the elbow, wrist, neck and shoulder to determine where the painful muscular triggers may be coming from. A specialised chiropractic treatment plan for tennis elbow can then be determined.
- Assessment of the joints from the neck, shoulder, elbow and wrist will determine where joint limitations may be occurring.
- Specific tests for potential nerve involvement will be performed.
- Prescription exercises will be given to stretch and strengthen the tendon.
- When dealing with tendon pain, building strength and resilience within the tendon is vital for both short-term and long-term pain resolution.
Scope Chiropractic for tennis elbow rehab
Scope Chiropractic offers tennis elbow injury treatment, rehab and chiropractic treatments at our West End and Ipswich clinics. If you’d like to learn more about our tennis elbow, injury rehab and sports chiro consultations, contact us online or book a session today.